This article offers a handful of nuggets that break down why discounters are finding success against online shopping.
- Ross's average item price is only $10
- 98% of Ross's goods are under $30
- Online retail has trouble offering these prices for top brands and still making money
- Ross and others buy excess inventory from top brands
- Ross ships the inventory to stores or keeps it in warehouses to rotate through stores
- Discounters appeal both to people who "need a bargain" & those who "want a bargain"
- Both types of discount shoppers enjoy the "treasure-hunt" experience
- Online retail has had a rough time replicating that experience